02/18/26 03:43:00
Printable Page
02/18 15:41 CST Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz fight
pitch-rigging case as spring training starts
Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz fight pitch-rigging case as
spring training starts
By LARRY NEUMEISTER
Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) --- A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians
pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray
"America's pastime" will likely be postponed until October, a federal judge
said Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment.
Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto left a May 4 trial date on the books for now, but
indicated she'll probably move it to the fall in the coming weeks.
Pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz, speaking Spanish, entered not guilty
pleas through a translator to a rewritten indictment in Brooklyn federal court.
No new charges were in the superseding indictment unsealed on Friday, as
prosecutors charged a third individual with serving as a middleman between
bettors and Clase. That person also pleaded not guilty Wednesday.
The pitchers were first charged in November with accepting several thousand
dollars in payoffs to help two gamblers from their native Dominican Republic
win at least $460,000 by placing more than 100 in-game prop bets and parlays on
the speed and the outcome of certain pitches. Charges include wire fraud
conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests.
The rewritten indictment released Friday added allegations that Clase used code
words like "rooster" and "chicken" in communications about pitches to be thrown.
Prior to a May 18, 2025, game against the Cincinnati Reds, Clase received a
message to "throw a rock at the first rooster in today's fight" and responded
with: "Yes, of course, that's an easy toss to that rooster," the indictment
said. However, Clase never entered the game and could not fulfill the plan to
throw outside the strike zone to the first batter he faced, it added.
A day earlier, though, Clase broke Major League Baseball rules by using his
cellphone in the middle of a game against the Reds to signal to gamblers that a
pitch would be outside the strike zone, enabling them to win about $27,000, the
indictment said.
Clase, the Guardians' former closer, and Ortiz, a starter, have been on
non-disciplinary paid leave since July. Their teammates are just starting
training camp for the new season. The team's home opener is April 3.
Clase and Ortiz, who are free on bail, left the courthouse separately after
Wednesday's hearing. Neither commented. Lawyers for both men have insisted
their clients never colluded with gamblers.
Lawyers for Ortiz have asked that he be tried separately, saying in court
papers that if Clase passed along Ortiz's pitching strategy to gamblers, he did
so without Ortiz's knowledge. They also noted that Ortiz is accused of throwing
only two pitches that drew scrutiny over a 12-day span, while Clase is charged
with colluding with gamblers on numerous pitches since 2023.
"Mr. Clase may have abused his relationship with Mr. Ortiz as friends and
teammates by convincing Mr. Ortiz to throw certain pitches at certain times ---
ostensibly for baseball reasons as far as Mr. Ortiz was aware," the lawyers
wrote.
They said they might present a defense to the jury that would cast "Ortiz as a
victim of Mr. Clase's scheme, rather than a knowing and willing participant."
Clase, a three-time All-Star, had a $4.5 million salary in 2025, the fourth
season of a $20 million, five-year contract. Prosecutors say he started
providing bettors with information about his pitches in 2023 but didn't seek
payoffs until last year.
Prosecutors have said that Ortiz, who had a $782,600 salary last season, joined
the scheme last June.
The Guardians and Major League Baseball have said they are cooperating with the
investigation. MLB said it contacted federal law enforcement when it began
investigating unusual betting activity.
|