05/20/26 11:29:00
Printable Page
05/20 23:24 CDT From hockey exile to playoff spark: Carter Hart's new chapter
with the Golden Knights
From hockey exile to playoff spark: Carter Hart's new chapter with the Golden
Knights
By ARNIE STAPLETON
AP Sports Writer
DENVER (AP) --- So much has changed for Carter Hart since his last Stanley Cup
playoffs run. The one constant is his stellar play in net.
In 2020, he was a 21-year-old starting goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers,
going 9-6 in their run to the second round in the Eastern Conference during the
Toronto bubble, posting a .926 save percentage and two shutouts.
After serving time in hockey exile while mired in the Hockey Canada sexual
assault scandal --- for which he was acquitted --- Hart joined the Vegas Golden
Knights last December. He's sparked them in these playoffs, going 9-4 and
helping the Golden Knights steal home ice with a 4-2 win at top-seeded Colorado
in the opener of their Western Conference Final on Wednesday night.
"We know they're a good team," said Hart, who has a .920 save percentage in
these playoffs while allowing just 2.35 goals per game. "We know they got a lot
of skill on their team and we respect that, but you can't respect them too
much. And I thought we did a good job of defending and limiting their time in
space and I thought we blocked a lot of shots tonight and got in a lot of lanes
and tied up some sticks."
Hart was stellar in stopping the pucks that reached him, turning away 36 of 38
shots. The only ones he allowed to get through were a between-the-legs
aberration by Valeri Nichushkin and a late goal from Gabe Landeskog when the
Avs had pulled goaltender Scott Wedgewood on a power play for a two-man
advantage.
"Carter Hart's a hell of a goalie," said Golden Knights coach John Tortorella,
who took over in Vegas on March 29 and who also coached Hart in Philadelphia.
"He was great in Philly for me, and we've got two good ones, you know. (Adin
Hill)'s kind of been put off to the side a little bit, that's a guy that just
won a Stanley Cup a couple years ago.
"But Carter, I think he's grown so strong mentally. I don't think much bothers
him. He is just zeroed in. And he's going to have to be, because we've got a
lot of work to do here."
The respect is mutual.
"Yeah, I think he's done a great job coming in here," Hart said. "It's never
easy coming in late in the season like he did and I think he's done a
tremendous job of just rallying the group and earning the guys' trust and I
really enjoy playing for him. I enjoyed playing for him in Philly and I'm happy
he's here."
Beginning in early 2024, Hart was placed on an indefinite leave of absence from
hockey after he was charged in connection with an alleged sexual assault
involving members of Canada's 2018 world junior team as part of the Hockey
Canada sexual assault scandal; he was acquitted of all charges last year and
resumed his career with Vegas.
The league reviewed the case and agreed to allow the acquitted defendants to
play starting Dec. 1, 2025. Hart was the first of those five Canada junior
players to agree to an NHL deal, signing a two-year, $4 million contract before
working with Vegas' American Hockey League affiliate in Henderson, Nevada.
After he agreed to sign, Hart read a statement to reporters that, in part, said
he wanted "to show the community my true character and who I am and what I'm
about."
He's also showing how much help he can be for Vegas' hopes of winning another
Stanley Cup. He made 10 stops in the scoreless first period as the Golden
Knights served notice that they weren't going to be like the Los Angeles Kings
or Minnesota Wild, who went a combined 1-8 against Colorado in prior rounds.
"It's huge," Hart said. "To come out like we did, I thought we came out really
good in the first period and I know this is a hard building to play in and it
was huge for us just to get rolling and just start off the right way and then
build off that."
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/stanley-cup and https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
|